Wednesday, September 2, 2009

How sweet life is!

Today, Daryl and I went to the lake and had a picnic for lunch. We took a basket with cheese, meat, fruit, wine and cookies. After 17 years of being married, we've decided that we are enjoying life more all the time! I think so much of it is a new sense of freedom we feel. Freedom from too many schedules, freedom from unnecessary commitments, freedom from unessential rules and restrictions, and freedom from expectations. In real life there are schedules to keep, commitments to keep, rules and regulations that need to be followed and expectations that are normal. But... do you ever wonder how many things in our American culture and church culture are truly unnecessary? I have had more time to laugh with my kids lately and make silly plans to do crazy things together. I have had more time to just take a lunch break with my husband and eat a delicious meal while we dream about more future together. I have had more time to journal and talk to God while I learn more about who He is. I have basically had the time to stop and smell the roses... literally! (Thanks to the fact that Daryl brought me a rose just this morning...Aahh! How sweet!) Instead of striving to possess the Fruit of the Spirit in my life, I am finding that the more in love with Jesus I grow, the more the Fruit of the Spirit actually overflows from my heart without trying. Is this what God meant by walking in the Spirit? All I know is I have DONE less stuff to prove myself worthy, and BEEN more at rest and in love and out of that has bloomed a life of worship and joy that I have never experienced before. This all sounds a little deep, but I feel like I'm still sorting some of it out in my head. It is deep! It's.... well, AWESOME!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment