Monday, September 28, 2009

Why do we write?

"First, I do not sit down at my desk to put into verse something that is already clear in my mind. If it were clear in my mind, I should have no incentive or need to write about it...we do not write in order to be understood; but we write in order to understand." - C. Day Lewis in Poetic Image



I can't count how many times I've needed to write things on paper so I can try to understand my true feelings about something. Sometimes, I sit back after reading my own penned words and think, "Hmm... so that's how I really feel." Other times, I chat with Daryl about what I wrote and ask for his input. Then, there are those times, I grab a lighter and quickly burn the evidence of my verbal vomit. What is it about the written word that seems to help the mind think clearer? I don't know. But, it is a tested method in my life.



I came across this quote by Lewis and felt like it was worth posting. What do you think? Write it out... I'd love to understand.

No comments:

Post a Comment