Friday, November 6, 2009

Perfection

There is a war that is waged in me often. The war of wanting to be perfect versus getting things done to a respectable point. I came across a page in my journal that I wrote as I was thinking about this one day. It looks like this...



Perfection vs. "do something"


  • clean the entire house in a day OR just pick up

  • laundry perfectly done OR do a load or two whenever

  • get ready for my marathon OR work out and feel good about it

  • iron and hang all clothes OR do a few shirts

  • make a gourmet meal from scratch or cook a Schwan's dinner :)

  • get involved in "major" church ministry OR serve somewhere well

  • get to ideal weight goal OR start getting healthy

  • special "controlled" time with my kids OR enjoy a shared moment

  • perfect art piece made OR experiment in art without expectation

  • study to fully understand OR enjoy learning

  • read an entire book series OR take in what you can bits at a time

  • write everyone's Christmas card before sending OR get a few out

So, here's a quote by Winston Churchill I came across tonight. This is powerful!


The maxim "Nothing but perfection" may be spelled PARALYSIS


When I am trying so hard to be perfect, do perfect, expect perfect, it doesn't cause a spirit to thrive, but instead to become paralized. It keeps me from stepping out and trying things. Edith Schaeffer once said, "People throw away what they could have by insisting on perfection, which they cannot have, and looking for it where they will never find it."


Lately, whether with my art, my music, my house, my laundry, yes, my laundry... I have been trying not to focus on perfection. It's exhausting! I have been reminding myself that God alone is perfect. And there's a verse that says, "God knows I am but dust..." so I will choose to enjoy the beautiful world he has made and all the imperfect people in it. I am just starting to learn this. And I will never learn it PERFECTLY, and that's okay. It's a joy to begin the journey of freedom that comes with this new understanding.

No comments:

Post a Comment