Friday, September 4, 2009

The S->P->E->E->D-> of Life

Water pressure. I was thinking about it in the shower. I was trying to imagine how super long it would take to get clean after a sweaty workout without water pressure! The lack of convenient water pressure could be the reason a filthy cowboy would sit in a big tin tub in the olden days. Ya think? And the amount of time it would take to get clean? It would definately be a much slower process.


Lately, there have been a lot of things that have come to mind regarding how fast we can get things done. We drive like crazy people to get to our next destinations. We eat fast food so we can get on with our evening commitments. We have come up with all the modern convienences of the world to get things done more efficiently, such as dishwashers, washing machines and dryers, curling irons, cars, e-mails, airplanes, fax machines, bread machines, showers... oh, the list could go on! All to save time. But sometimes I feel like the world is passing by sooooo quickly!


My husband and I drive down Montana Ave in Billings often because we love the lights and the life that is there. Finally, last weekend, we parked the pick-up and walked around with all the other lingerers. There were amazing smells and live music and all sorts of people. It had a totally different feel than it did going the speed limit. I wish that we lived at the minimum speed more often than the MAXIMUM. Everything is a hurry. Even showers! I can honestly say, I don't want society to go back to the covered wagon days or anything, but I bet those people knew what a starry evening was like better than most of us. They HAD to notice the wild life around them because they were virtually at a stand still in comparison to the speed we pass by them.


So, God, will heaven be more like those "walk everywhere" kind of places or will we each be given a speedy craft to zoom anywhere a gazillion miles an hour? I think life sounds much more heavenly at a slower pace. Besides, if I do slow down during my days, I may actually have the time to stop and talk to someone who is in need instead of passing them by 65 miles an hour and wondering what their story is.

Well, gotta run... my son has a dentist appointment... (sigh...)

1 comment:

  1. Not going back to the covered wagon days;) Made me chuckle. I so agree with this. Sometimes I feel guilt over not doing more, but most often the slow days are the best. But I cant post long here....I gotta hurry up and read your next post...gotta catch up, I haven't visited your blog in a while:)

    ReplyDelete