Monday, December 20, 2010

Being the mom

Why is being a mom to "little ones" such an exausting experience? I consider myself the mom of "medium ones" now that they are growing up, so I feel like my sanity has returned. But as I read the Facebook post of a new mom this morning, I remember the cries of my heart that matched her cries... "I am at the end of my rope. I need some support!"
Just keeping them alive is a full time job. Feed them, keep them from eating things they could choke on, buckle them in, bath them without letting them drown, teach them to walk, but keep them away from steep stairs until due time, take them for outings without losing them when they try to wander off, whew! There was always sooooo much to think about. It makes me tired just remembering.
A mom is like a cup that is tipped sideways, pouring, pouring, pouring out. Every moment, everyday and night. There are very few moments in my years of raising "little ones" that my cup rested upright to fill up. Those were important times to regain energy and endurance so I was ready to pour out more joyfully the next time. The most trying times were the ones when I was attempting to do EVERTHING ELSE in addition to being a mom. I went through a time where I was a wife and a mom, in addition to being a children's choir director of 50+ students, a piano teacher to 29 students (most of which I traveled to their homes toting my two young boys), an accompanist at church that included at least two days of commitments, leader of a bible study, a youth group leader to junior highers, and a volunteer for many other miscellaneous things in my community. WHY, oh why, did I think I needed to be in everything? I know why. I really wanted to be making a difference. And I did. I have kids that can play piano because of me. Kids who performed in a community choir because of me. Kids whose faith was challenged and encouraged because of me. But I also remember feeling like I was going to loose it... often.
With age has come some perspective and peace. No one can love my children and my husband like me. MY kids can feel loved because of me. MY kids have memories baking cookies together because of me. MY kids have been encouraged in their faith because of me. I am not trying to impress anyone anymore. I just want my husband and kids to know they are loved and valued and that there is proof in my actions. No one else can be a mom to my kids. There are other piano teachers for my old students, and other directors for youth programs. There is not another mother for my kids.
I still need to stop and fill my cup each and everyday. The Lord does that. He uses people. And His Word. I guess I don't find that I need to "unwind" the way I used to, because not much winds me up anymore.

No comments:

Post a Comment