Sunday, January 2, 2011

Just another New Year's Resolution?

Happy New Year! I'm gonna lose weight, save money, get healthier... for a WEEK!!! I'll be honest, my staying power for things such as these lasts about as long as a vapor. You, too? I actually don't set New Years Resolutions. I never have. And honestly, we are all gonna die! Now, don't worry... I am not being cynical. The older I get though, the more I want to focus my life on things that will last for an eternity. Whether I die with a skinny waist or a fat bank account won't matter once I meet my Creator. I've decided to start with Galatians 5:22-23... "But the fruit of the Spirit is love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, goodness, faithfulness, gentleness and self control. Against such things there is no law."
I want Jesus to be able to live in my life more this year than last year. Less of me. More of Him. More love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, goodness, faithfulness, gentleness and self control. When I sit and ponder how many ways this could effect my life and those around me, I get a little excited. If my waist is smaller or my checkbook shows more zeros, that doesn't make an impact on anyone but me. But if I live walking "in the Spirit" then there is no end to what he could do with a divine size serving of Love or Peace or Self Control each day of my life.
So could I encourage you this year not to forget the spiritual part of you. There's nothing wrong with getting healthy, but let's not neglect what will last. The eternal.

1 comment: